Look, before anyone comes at us with their own arguments about what constitutes stovies – we’ve heard it all before – the beauty of stovies is that it’s leftovers and means you can change it up with anything that is to hand.
It’s this versatility that makes this dish such a Scottish staple.
Traditionally served with slices of beetroot and oatcake, it’s the perfect dish for using up leftovers (usually from the Sunday roast).
What you’ll need:
• 1 large brown onion (diced)
• 5 or 6 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
• 1 small turnip (swede), peeled and cubed (optional)
• 2 carrots, peeled and cubed (optional)
• 500g leftover cooked meat, cut into small chunks – traditionally this is lamb or beef, but it could be square sausage, sausages, or even corned beef if you’ve nothing else to use. (Some people even used minced beef but we aren’t sure about that).
• two tablespoons of beef dripping (or failing that oil).
• salt and pepper
• 400-500ml of reduced beef stock
How to make it:
1. Take a large frying pan, and cook the beef dripping (or oil), then add the onion and cook until soft, add the carrots and swede at this point if you are going to have extra veg.
2. Then add the potatoes and cover with the beef stock.
3. Add your leftover meat then season with salt and pepper.
4. Add a little extra water if needed at this point to cover the meat and potatoes. (If you are using corned beef here delay adding it until the potatoes have been cooked for 20 mins or so)
5. Bring to the boil then simmer gently with a lid on.
6. Remove the lid and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the potatoes and veggies are soft.
7. Season and serve with the beetroot slices and oatcakes.
22 thoughts on “The warming winter recipes every Scot should know”
can you buy albenza over the counter
albendazole cost in canada
atarax 25 mg cost
brand cialis online us pharmacy
can you buy prednisone over the counter uk
buy trental online uk
baclofen 10 mg tabs
chloroquine phosphate canada
orlistat brand name in india
how to get fluoxetine
zanaflex generic 2mg
diflucan 150 mg price in india
metformin 1000 mg online
how to get xenical
buy cialis online with mastercard
order levaquin online